Securities & Mutual Funds
Giving securities or mutual funds to Boston Children's Hospital helps our institution and can have significant financial advantages for you.
A gift of securities
Donating securities is one of the most tax-efficient ways to support Boston Children's. You may either:
- transfer the securities from a brokerage account to the hospital's account, or
- send the securities to us with a cover note and (under separate cover) a signed stock or bond power form.
What are the benefits of donating securities?
- You may able to take a tax deduction for the full, fair market value for securities that have increased in value. (Please contact us for specific details.)
- You pay no capital gains tax on any appreciated assets you contribute.
- You have the satisfaction of making a significant gift to Boston Children's.
Transfer securities from a brokerage account
If your securities are in a brokerage account, ask your broker to transfer them to the hospital's account at UBS Financial Services. The broker will need the following information:
UBS Financial Services
Credit Boston Children’s Hospital
Attn: Genevieve Michel
If you decide to use this method, please contact Karen Melo at 857-218-3147.
Send stock or bond certificates
If your stocks or bonds are in certificate form, please send them (with a note about gifting) — unendorsed — to the attention of:
UBS Financial Services
100 Federal Street, 27th Floor
Boston, MA 02110
In a separate mailing, please also send a signed stock or bond power to Ms. Mold's attention. For your convenience, you may download this combined Irrevocable Stock or Bond Power form (PDF).
A gift of mutual funds
Mutual funds let you make a gift that can be invested, allowed to grow tax-free over time and then distributed to Boston Children's on a timetable of your choosing.
What are the benefits of donating mutual funds?
- You receive an immediate tax deduction of up to 50% of adjusted gross income for cash contributions and up to 30% for gifts of securities.
- You may be able to avoid capital gains tax (when donating long-term appreciated securities).
- You have the satisfaction of making a gift that benefits you now and Boston Children's later.
Please contact us if you have any questions about donating securities or mutual funds to Boston Children's.